Thursday, September 8, 2011

in these arms

In all the years I have been on this earth I have seen more than my share of corpses. Even as a child I remember seeing dead bodies at funerals. I'm almost incredulous when my middle age friends tell me they're enduring their first loss.

But in all those years I have never been present when someone actually dies.

Not until yesterday.

A short time after I wrote the last blog I went back in to check on Tad. He had told me he wanted to stay in bed - a notion that frightened me a bit since we both knew it was a sign of his body slowing down. At my prodding he ate a full breakfast then took all his morning meds. Truth be told he and I agreed to slip him a few extra meds beyond the hospice agreement - some antibiotics just in case he got an infection.

He told me he was going to stay in the bedroom because he was feeling "icky". When I asked for more details he said he had new pains in his limbs -which didn't surprise me- but also he felt nauseous and had a headache. He said he didn't feel good. His words were more garbled than they had been an hour earlier. This frightened him.  I grabbed a bowl for him to throw up but he didn't - he said he couldn't. He had been sweating more that night than previously so I found a washcloth and tried to soothe his agitation by bathing him gently and holding his hand.

He told me, "If I'm going to feel like this I can't keep going. I want this to end."

I looked him in the eye and named it more explicitly: "You mean you are ready to die?"

When he said yes I assured him he had all my support. For months now he has been concerned that he will let his family down by dying.

The new symptoms frightened me. The pains in the arms were edemas caused by broken blood vessels much like the new blood clot on his tongue. But the headaches and nausea only made me think of a burst vein in his brain. His speech began to get more slurred - and he told me so.

"Something's wrong. I can't do this." He was crying, flailing and asking for help.

I called the hospice nurse who came immediately and assessed the situation. She stood by lovingly and told me that this was just part of the process.

I felt my Mother Lion come up and wanted to scream at her: "Do something!! Make this stop!!" But I didn't. I lied down next to Tad.

Later our friend Carl who I had texted to come to the house quickly told me that - while I was conferring with the nurse in the living room Tad --despite all of the heaving, the nausea, the unbearable pain, the difficulty speaking-- looked at him and with gestures and words said: "I (pointing to his chest) am OK (making the OK gesture with his fingers) to die (moving his hand across his adam's apple). How is Greg?"

Within minutes of this he began to have what some call a deathbed "rattle" - that is his breathing changed completely and he began developing an enormous amount of fluid. I personally have seen people stay in that state of rattling breath for days, even weeks. To that end the nurse had called in to have a hospital bed delivered to the house. With Jorge - the in home worker - and Carl we were imagining different geometries in the living room so that we could fit it in there comfortably. we were wondering how we could get Tad who weighed 200 pounds from the bedroom to the living room via the narrow corridor.

Then his rattle changed to a gurgle. There was more fluid in his system than I had ever heard before. All I could think was "he's drowning! we have to do something". This was the most painful part for me - all we could do was turn his head and help the fluids flow out of his mouth on the side.

I am torn between anger at the fact that the nurse didn't intervene more to keep the fluid from backing up in his lungs and relief because he had said more than once that morning "I am ready to go."

There was a moment of peace - but to get to it he had to go through the turmoil of gasping for breath until no air could be found.

I lie there next to him, my right arm around his chest, my left behind his head, my face against his shoulder while Carl and Jorge sat holding his hand and arm - the nurse standing lovingly behind them. I felt his heart accelerate wildly, I watched his jugular pounding just below my chin. Then we all got very quiet. His heart slowed down. At some point - some unknowable point - his heart stopped.

It was absolutely uneventful. No angels played trumpets. No spirit lifted from his body and floated upwards. His heart was beating one minute then it wasn't. I looked up at everyone and said, "I'm not sure but I think he's gone"."

The nurse searched for a pulse and finding none acquiesced. Carl burst into tears.

I have no words for what I felt - I am still not sure what I feel. I imagine the emotions will become more and more identifiable as time goes by.

For the next four hours I spent a lot of time with Tad - Tad's body. I'm not sure which it was. I took off his boxers and bathed him with a warm towel and rose water. I caressed him. I talked to him. Jorge and Carl made lunch and we all sat around him and had lunch telling stories about Tad, the sun filling the whole room for the first time in what feels like years.

I kept coming back to his gentle lips, the hair on his chest, his beautiful warm hands that loved to find mine and hold it -- I couldn't stop touching his body even though I could feel the temperature dropping, the sweat drying up, the color changing.

Amazingly all of this happened with sweetness and serenity. I went out into the garden to be away from him then found I needed to be near him some more. I called his dad first then came back in to get one more glimpse of his beautiful green eyes before I shut the lids. His pupils were enormous. Every time I came close I could swear I saw his chest lift - to pull in air - a movement I had scrutinized over and over again so many times. At some point Astra had climbed up on the bed and fallen asleep between his legs.

When the agreed upon time came the cemetery folks took his body away through his gorgeous garden in the bright Santa Cruz sun. When I mentioned I didn't want to be separated from his body Carl reminded me that I had every right to keep it there for a few days if I wanted; that we could send them back and have them come another time. There was no law stating I had to have him sent to the mortuary right away. I was tempted but I knew that I had to let go. I was clinging to a corpse - to a physical sensation - I was clinging to a Tad who was no longer. The sooner his body was gone the sooner I could start connecting with the Tad inside me, the one that will live with me no doubt til the day I myself die.

My friends are here - surrounding me with love and support. This morning we will go to the mortuary and begin the plans for the cremation. Tad asked me to organize a memorial here in Santa Cruz and another in Tucson where he was born. It's my deep honor to take his remains there and to represent the Crandall - Rowe family among the much larger Westmoreland - Crandall clan of Tucson.

Today our bedroom where I just spent a sound night is full of pictures of Tad and me as well as flowers brought in by Carl. The ring I gave him for our commitment ceremony is solidly fixed on my left hand next to the one he gave me.

I have many big decisions to make in the near future but for now I can relax. I went out for dinner with two of his friends last night and felt so much serenity not having to wonder about whether he was safe or not, whether we are at the right hospital getting the right care, whether he will live or die. It was sweet to just be out in Santa Cruz with friends - to come back to a world where in appearance no one is sick.

18 comments:

  1. Greg, he was so lucky to have you in his life. I so wanted to connect with him again, but being so far away in Mexico didn't allow that. We were so near when you two went to Puerto Vallarta. Stella and I just said yesterday we will try to do a car trip and now we waited too long. Again, he left with plane with loving arms around him and that is more special than anything I can say. Love, Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tad's beautiful spirit lives on in all that loved & knew him. I am glad he is no longer in pain. He was so blessed to have you beside him.

    Sending love from Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very saddened but take comfort in the fact that you were with Tad when he passed. I am so glad you both had some time to adjust to the realities of life and death and say good-bye, and your grace in that process will forever inspire me. With love from San Francisco,

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Greg & Other Friends of Tad,

    Thank you for your words about Tad's final hours. I am grateful that his pain is over and that he had you and other loving friends nearby throughout his difficult end-journey.

    Tad often mentioned the pleasure, personal growth and adventure that he experienced as your time together began and developed. I am glad for you that you also have those wonderful memories to revisit.

    I too have wonderful memories to keep of Tad, laughter, poignant moments and shared experiences over more than two decades time. I am grateful to have had the occasional view into his private thoughts and perspectives. He was a sweet, complex and special man. I miss him already.

    With love and respect,
    Paul Willis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg, in the midst of grief you write so beautifully of Tad's death. May you find peace. David Kincaid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beloved Greg. Sending you love and comfort.
    Mendl, Amie, Barb and I happen to be meeting tonight. We will send healing energy your way.
    I'm glad you have friends nearby. Love, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Greg:

    You both were so fortunate to have found one another and you are correct in that Tad will never die from inside you. It must have been very difficult for the final surrender and you sound as if you handled it with grace and dignity. God bless you!

    Much much love,
    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Greg,
    Your MCC-SF community is praying for you. Your blog is so beautiful and heartbreaking. I can feel your love for Tad as I read it. Please let me know how I can support you. My email address is vfloyd@mccsf.org. This offer will not expire! I would love to meet you and extend a big hug on behalf of MCC-SF.
    Deep Peace,
    Rev. Victor H. Floyd, Associate Pastor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Greg, for sharing this adventure with us. All my love, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so eloquent in your sharing of Tad's last hours. Thank you for being so brave, as he certainly was. I hope we can have Tea soon, I am here now.
    Words fail me.
    Hugs, Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Greg
    I agree with what everyone said. I know Tad was at ease because you were with him. I am wishing peace and love to you in SC...
    Love,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Sustain me with raisins, comfort me with apples; for I am sick with love.
    His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me.
    I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles or by the hinds of the field, that you stir not up, nor awake my love, until it please." (Song of Songs).
    May we all, when our time comes, experience the embrace of love like Tad did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greg, thanks for writing this and putting it upon the blog for all to read. It was really intense to read the first time (I just reread it again), but it's really well-written, for one thing, and profoundly moving and profoundly sad and beautiful all at the same time. Let me if you need anything, I'm here. Love, David O'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tears now and finally. I've broken through with the help of your beautiful bittersweet words, Greg. You're tucked inside my heart along with Tad as you are in many hearts. I'm incredibly sad things came to this, happy that he is released as the pain and quality of his life ebbed, glad that you were with him and had Carl and Jorge with you. I'm especially comforted to know that he was ready and knew that he had your support to go.

    I well remember an interview with the venerable Huston Smith by Bill Moyers on PBS years ago. Moyers asked: How do you live with the realization that someday, perhaps soon, either you or your beloved wife will die and the other be left behind? Huston replied: "If we did not die, nothing in life would be precious."

    I remember the first time Tad showed up on the Saratoga Springs porch to register for the PozNeg Gathering. Ball cap brim pulled low over his face, wearing dark sunglasses and a grim expression, my heart ached for him from those first moments. Yet by the end of the weekend, he had opened up to love and the possibility of self-love and left open-eyed and smiling.

    Greg, your love lifted him to new heights. That love will be with us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Greg, I know being with someone at their moment of death is the most intimate experience. You and Tad fit so well together, I'm sorry you didn't have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a stranger to you, but I wanted to express that I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Greg,

    What a beautiful, heartrending witnessing of a loved one's passing! It's an unusal admixture of grief, radiance and resilience. What love and grace you emanate! Tad is blessed to have had you at his side as he made this momentous transition. I will remember Tad in my meditation practice.

    Blessings to you both,

    Moraya

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Greg,

    Marika sent me the news about Tad. I was really sad to hear about his passing. Even though I had never met him, as we spoke over the phone at the SCCA, it was real obvious to me how special this man was. It was also obvious, what a wonderful and compassionate man you are. It sounds like you were both very blessed to be a part of each other's lives. Take care, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete