Saturday, September 10, 2011

hearing the silence

I don't hear Tad's voice calling out to me anymore. I don't hear him saying: "Greggy - could you bring me some juice?" (Besides my Grams he was the only other person who got away with calling me Greggy)

When I stop all I hear is silence.

Worst of all I can't lean over and touch his soft skin, caress his cheek, hear his snoring, see his near-constant smile, or catch a glimpse of his beautiful green eyes.

I actually could do this if I wanted to. His corpse is only a half-mile from here, waiting in some chilled room to be cremated. I find myself wanting to hop on my bicycle so I can hold him one last time, tell him it's going to be okay. I have to purposely remind myself that his corpse is no longer him - and that it no doubt doesn't look very pretty now that he's been dead a few days.

My hunch is that it will take me months to learn to be at peace without him, to stop yearning for him.

During our illness people regularly said to me: "He's lucky to have you." In a way this made me angry because - though I understand the intention - it felt one-sided. I would respond "Thank you - and I'm lucky to have him." or "We're lucky to have one another." Another phrase I found myself saying a lot to the droves of people who spent time caring for him was: "He's easy to love."

This wasn't always the case - Tad could be gruff and prickly but particularly in these last few years Tad was just so easy to love, so gentle, so simple, so warm. Waking up in the morning next to him I nearly always got a smile and a warm greeting of "Good morning. Did you sleep okay?", even in the midst of severe pain.

I write these words knowing that oftentimes dead people become perfect in the eyes of the living, their mortal status suddenly wipes away any character defects and they become demi-gods. But this really was one of Tad's qualities. I was far from the only one who saw it.

Since his death his friends and I have dealt with handling what to do with his corpse. The funeral company here in town that runs the two cemeteries and the crematorium are no different from the ones I've seen all over the world. They bring you in, wear a maudlin face, tip their head to the side, mutter "I'm sorry for your loss," then try to sell you more stuff.

Our friends' presence gave me the strength to cut to the chase rather quickly, in essence saying "I gave you the body of the man I love the most in the world - now give me back some ashes and tell me how much I owe you."

After squirming a bit the relationship became what it really is: mercantile. We got down to business, signed the multiple documents, wrote the check (for $1736 for the most minimal cremation!!), made small talk while things were being processed and left.

My friends felt bad that it had become so business-y but truth be told I preferred the sincerity of the commercial exchange to the false empathy of the usual funeral exchange. When my heart is broken wide open like this I don't suffer insincerity very well.

Friends have been spending the night with me.

I can't imagine being alone at night right now. I woke up at 4 AM the second night having an asthma attack. Suddenly I couldn't breathe and needed to get some air. Cat hair can cause me to get tight-chested but this felt like something else. I can't help but think it has more to do with the fact that less than 48 hours previously my own beloved man, the man I cherish so deeply, basically suffocated in my arms in that very bed.

As I sat on the sofa waiting for my breath to return I got on my computer and was immediately contacted by Tad's little sister from Texas wanting connection, wanting information.

Like with everything these days I was hit by a hurricane of feelings - at times contradictory. I wanted to be alone to breathe through the tightness in my chest but I wanted to exchange with someone who knew Tad intimately.

I want folks to know that Tad has given me instructions to organize memorials - one in Santa Cruz, one in Tucson) and to distribute some of his things (and I feel a strong sense of duty to keep my promise to Tad and his family) and at the same time I just want to stay in this little bubble and not change a thing, not do any organizing, not contact anyone. In general I want to give people the opportunity to connect with me as the living thing that remains of Tad and at the same time I need to not be overwhelmed by too many solicitations. It's a gentle balance I try to find.

Some moments it feels good to chat with Tad connections and some moments it feels good to be alone. And my needs change on a dime.

My most difficult struggle since Tad died has been this haunting sense that I could have changed the end - I could have done something to make his death more peaceful, less of a struggle.

Tad had made it clear to everyone that he wanted to be resuscitated. Our agreement was that the medical team would try to save him in times of crisis and I would pull the plug if he were brain dead after the intervention. This legally binding request pissed off a lot of doctors who knew that Tad's cancer was terminal.

I had grown so used to vehemently defending this position that I failed to see that on the morning of his death he revoked that agreement three times. Three times he made it clear that he was ready to go and that -de facto- I was no longer to ask for him to be saved.

But as I heard the fluids building up in his chest and he struggled to breathe more and more I found myself wanting to call 911 or to have the nurse and our friends do something. I even said aggressively, "We need to turn him upside down so the fluids can come out!!"

Gently, lovingly Ann just smiled and told me that it wouldn't do much good - instead she turned his head to the side to allow some of it to flow out.

Fortunately the sweet Sally came by yesterday and helped me to see that in fact Tad had put an end to our agreement. Three times that morning he told me quite clearly that he couldn't keep going, that he was too sick, that it was time to die. Among his first words upon awaking were "I don't have many days left on this earth."

By saying he was ready to go he released me from my promise to have him resuscitated at all cost. Alas neither he nor I knew that the struggle would be so difficult. It only lasted a few minutes but during those few minutes he kept trying to breathe and couldn't. He pushed hard. He struggled. And it was unbearable for me. On the other side of that struggle came serenity - I felt his heart slow down after going a million miles an hour. I felt him relax.

It is possible Tad pushed through that in order to die. It is possible he was indeed controlling things.

I think maybe it is easier for me to be angry with myself than it is to be submerged in sorrow that Tad and his beautiful, beautiful life are no longer here.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Greg, it's such a natural thing to wish you had done something else, but it all unfolded exactly as it was supposed to. You had each other when the time came and that alone is one of the greatest blessings any of us could ever hope for. you were human and vulnerable and loving and completely present, everything that Tad could have asked for. We should all be so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my beloved Kelley died, one of the first things our home hospice nurse said to me was, "You did everything right." And I hadn't asked her that question. What I wise and warm thing to say. And I say the same to you, dear Greg: You did everything exactly right for Tad. Love, David Kincaid

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the time comes, Sweet Heart, your friends will organize the memorial if you'd like. I'm grateful for your 5 years and 100 days together, both of you deserving and lucky to have each other. You did everything exactly right for Tad -- including, that morning, you affirmed your support for him to go when he was ready. That permission undoubtedly gave him much peace and comfort at the last. Greg, you did everything exactly right for Tad.
    Love indeed!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Greg:
    Thanks for you moving account of all the mixed feelings you have about Tad's death. People often develop that "death rattle" - it's because the heart is failing and so the moisture in teh lungs builds up. My mom went through it. It does sound horrible and it is often what happens when someone is dying. I think you did everything right. Who knows what state of mind the dying person is in though??? About a month after my dad died, I had a dream where he appeared and said to me, "When you're dying, your body puts your into an altered state and it looks worse from the outside than the inside." Maybe that was my wish for him, but who knows?? Our body somehow prepares us for the birth struggle into this world, who knows what goes on when it's time to leave? But as your other friends here say, you did everything right. And even so, the mixed feelings you are having seem completely normal. I had similar ones after my mom died. Should we have talked her out of stopping treaments? She was a nurse and well understood what was happening to her body - and she was ready to go. And it so clearly sounds like Tad did too. EVen in his last moments, he still made his choices - and what more could any of us ask at that juncture? My love and thoughts your way, David

    ReplyDelete